Sunday, January 13, 2019

Leutnant Wolfgang Stein in Stalingrad

Leutnant Wolfgang E. F. Stein, commander of the 2.Kompanie / Pionier-Bataillon 635, remembers his experience in Stalingrad during the battle on 18 October 1942: “As the oldest lieutenant, I became company commander. We were ordered to blow up bunkers on the bank of the Volga in close combat. During the night we advanced through the Red Barricade gun factory, near the fuel depot. There I was severely wounded during the attack. I suffered a high loss of blood and was lying there senseless. At dawn my comrades brought me back while using smoke and hand grenades and brought me to the battalion command post. My friend, assistant doctor Dr. Lechtken, saved my life; I was flown out to Stalino severely wounded. In this action my friend and comrade Leutnant Fritz Bauch also was severely wounded; he lost his right leg. Of my unit, Oberleutnant Fröhlich, Leutnant Hartung, Gefreiter Bethke, Pionier Straubinger, and Pionier Fischbacher were killed.”


Source :
Book "Winter Storm: The Battle for Stalingrad and the Operation to Rescue 6th Army" by Hans Wijers

No comments:

Post a Comment